Vision, Mission & Core Beliefs
Texas School for the Deaf ensures
students learn, grow and belong
in a language-rich environment
that maximizes each individual’s potential
to become successful life-long learners
while supporting students, families, and professionals
through statewide outreach services.
Texas School for the Deaf aspires to be a
premier leader in bilingual (ASL/English) education
that challenges each student to
reach their full potential.
- Education is a partnership between students, family, school, and community.
- Early language acquisition is critical to a deaf child’s social, emotional, and cognitive development.
- The development of the whole person socially, physically, intellectually, culturally, and emotionally is imperative to a positive identity, self-worth, and lifelong success.
- American Sign Language and English are woven into the fabric of TSD life building healthy Deaf identities and positive self-worth.
- An interdisciplinary curriculum that integrates technology in academically engaging learning environments prepares students to become critical thinkers, collaborators, and decision-makers.
- Outreach Services provide resources and support to the state’s deaf and hard of hearing students, their families, and the professionals that serve them.
- Showing students, families, and staff dignity and respect in an inclusive community that values diverse abilities, needs, and interests is crucial to creating a healthy, safe, and welcoming environment.