Who does Texas School for the Deaf serve?

TSD admits students who are 21 years of age or younger on September 1 of any school year and who are deaf or hard of hearing and who may have one or more other disabilities.


Which students will be admitted to TSD?

A student will be admitted to TSD if the student meets the eligibility criteria according to Education Code 30.051 (a); (see Welcome to Admissions page) and needs comprehensive educational services, on a day or residential basis; short-term services to allow a student to better achieve educational results from services available in the community; and, for students with additional disabilities, a specialized program.


Do you have a waiting list? 

TSD does not have a waiting list. As soon as we receive all required paperwork, we set up an admission ARD at the earliest possible date. Please keep in mind that the last 3 weeks in July most of our staff are not on campus on a daily basis, so please get all paperwork in before that time. 


What happens after TSD receives a completed application packet?

After TSD receives a completed application packet, TSD will schedule an ARD meeting to consider admission. Because from one to four weeks may be needed to schedule the ARD meeting, TSD encourages the applicant not to withdraw the student from the school where the student is currently enrolled. TSD will send a written ARD notice to the applicant and the LEA. The admission process may take longer than four weeks if TSD is unable to secure all relevant records related to the student's admission. In this situation TSD will contact both the parent and the LEA to inform them of the admission status.


After submitting the application for student admission, how can a parent or local school district speed up the admissions process?

The best way to expedite an admission is to ensure that all student records are submitted to the TSD Admissions Office: 512-462-5412


How old must my child be to be able to stay in the dorm? Will they have adult supervision?

A child must be 5 years old to be considered for residential services. TSD dorms are staffed by Residential Educators both day and night.


Which costs are the parent/student responsible for?

The student's education is basically at no cost to the parent; however the parent/student is responsible for the following:

  • Providing or purchasing the student's school supplies and PE uniform fees.
  • If the student is a day student at TSD, paying for lunch, if provided by TSD
  • Student medical treatment expenses
  • Providing the student a weekly allowance for personal items and entertainment
  • Providing student clothing and laundry machine costs.
  • ACCESS - the initial fee of $140 is due on or before the first day of class. A monthly fee of $60 is due the first school day of the month October through May.

Contact the individual department listed below for specific information. 


How often will the residential student return home?

All students will generally travel home on Friday and return to TSD on Sunday (refer to annual school calendar for exact dates). On some weekends the students may remain on campus for special events.


What are the parental rights?

The rights of parents and students in regard to admission and appeals are addressed in the Explanation of Rights and Procedural Safeguards. Parents may also appeal TSD admission decisions through the ARD process.


How can I get information on fees, supply lists, Parent/Student handbook information, dorm life and athletics?

Please contact individual departments links or phone/VP numbers listed below.


Early Childhood Education/Elementary Office: 512-462-5231, (VP) 512-410-1011

Middle School Office: 512-462-5491, (VP) 512-410-1017

High School Office: (VP) 512-410-1019

Career & Technical Education/Adult Curriculum for Community Employment & Social Skills (ACCESS) Office:  (VP) 512-410-1015

Athletics Office: (VP) 512-410-1073

Health Center: 512-462-5717, (VP) 512-410-1024


What happens when my child transfers to Texas School for the Deaf?



IDEA indicates that if a special education student transfers in from another state, the new school district (in consultation with the parent) must provide the child with FAPE, including services comparable to those described in the child’s IEP from the previous school system until the new district:

      • Conducts an evaluation (if determined to be necessary by the new district); and
      • Develops, adopts and implements a new IEP that is consistent with state and federal law


When a student transfers to TSD, the department will place the student in the instructional courses based on information from records received for 30 school days until another ARD can be held. At this time new IEP goals and objectives and service minutes can be written and reviewed.


If the FIE is from another Texas school district, all required components of the FIE should be addressed in the written report. If the FIE is complete and current, the ARD committee may choose to use the report from the previous district and need not test further. If records are not available and the school does not receive an updated FIE, the LSSP will conduct a Review of Existing Evaluation Data (REED) to determine the need for a full evaluation.


These are the steps that need to be followed when a special education student transfers from another school district in state or out of state:


    • Verify the student was receiving special education services in the previous district
    • Notify the TSD registrar to request records from the previous school district including most recent FIE
    • Determine eligibility to attend TSD and schedule admission ARD
    • Conduct Admission ARD meeting (transfer/annual)
    • Schedule IEP Committee Meeting within 30 school days to review /recommend services for the year


Students Who Leave TSD

The TSD registrar is responsible for sending special education records to those schools requesting the information. This may be done through the electronic systems used within the state, or when necessary, providing paper copies. Parents may also request a copy to take to the new school themselves.